Once your electricity provider notifies you they’ve installed a Sense-enabled meter, you can complete setup with the Sense app. The Sense-enabled electric meter helps you understand your home's energy in real-time so you can identify waste and save on your electricity bill.
Here’s what it takes to connect to Sense in your meter:
Be ready with
- An email address you’ll use for your Sense account
- A smartphone or tablet running either Android (ver. 8 or higher) or iOS (ver. 13 or higher)
- Your phone number or account number associated with your electricity provider
- The name and password of your home Wi-Fi network
Note: During setup you will be prompted to stay 5-15 feet from your Sense-enabled meter. Consider weather and time of day.
1. Link your electricity provider account:
2. Connect your electric meter to Wi-Fi:
Link your electricity provider account:
- Download the Sense app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to setup your Electric Meter:
- Select your electricity provider
- Enter your phone or account number associated with your electricity provider
- Enter your verification code when prompted
- Confirm the address you’d like to setup
Connect your electric meter to Wi-Fi:
Some tips for successful connection:
- Move between 5 and 15 feet away from your meter to complete this step (the app will tell you this and give you time to move, if necessary).
- Consider how close your meter is to the Wi-Fi router inside your home:
- Ideally, your meter and your router will be no more than 20 feet away from each other for best signal strength. If the connection fails due to low signal strength, you can do two things to improve this: (1) move the router inside your home so that it is closer to the meter, and/or (2) install a Wi-Fi extender cable to within 20 feet.
- Most Wi-Fi routers have 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Sense can only work on the 2.4GHz band where distance is more important than speed. You want to use your 5GHZ frequency for devices that require fast downloads.
- When asked to choose a network, the setup will populate a list of available networks. If your network is not visible, type in its name. If typing it in fails, you may have too low a signal strength. (See above.)
- If you are unsure of your network’s password, look on the router. If you cannot find it there, you may need to contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to change the password before you can connect Sense to your Wi-Fi.
- Once you’ve completed all these steps in the app, you’re all set!
Now that you’ve set up your Sense-enabled meter, you can create a Sense account and begin experiencing the Sense app. Click here to read more: Get started with Sense and My first month with Sense.