Sense Customer Support takes your privacy very seriously. We only share your Sense Product and Service data* if we have your explicit permission and only to troubleshoot or improve performance. You may have received a notification from us, or within the Sense Home app, requesting permission to share your Sense data with your utility, solar installer, or another organization that may have helped with the purchase or installation of your Sense monitor. You may have already agreed to share your data as part of an agreement with the party that provided you with your Sense monitor, but Sense Customer Support requires an in-app approval step as an extra level of security.
Some examples of why a partner may request or require your agreement to share your data:
- The partner is providing you with Sense as part of a product suite (for example, a solar PV system) and will use the data to help monitor and optimize the system.
- The partner may be providing you a free or discounted Sense product as part of a program (for example, energy efficiency, home warranty, or other services) and may require data to measure and assess program effectiveness and to accomplish program goals.
- The partner may provide you with a multi-featured application (for example, an application including multiple smart home products) and wishes to connect to Sense and include a view of energy data in their application.
Depending on your business agreement with the partner, your agreement to share data with the partner may be required in order to activate Sense; in other cases it may be up to you to choose whether or not to share data.
When you agree to share data, the Sense partner will be able to see some or all of the following:
- Your Sense monitor serial number and, if needed for support purposes, your Sense account email address
- The install date, timezone, and status/history of your Sense monitor (online/offline)
- Recent and historical total electric consumption
- Additional metering data from extra sensors, if installed, which could be used to measure solar production, generator usage, or a dedicated circuit
- Energy usage and activity for those devices that Sense has found, or that you have configured to connect to Sense
- Information you’ve entered regarding your utility billing cycle and energy costs (if applicable)
- Information you’ve entered about your solar sell-back rate (if applicable)
The Sense partner will not be able to see:
- Wi-fi network and password information
- Your Sense password
- Any information you’ve entered regarding your home details and appliances
If you have questions about what specific information is shared and why, please contact our customer support team.