Sense has been available as a home energy monitoring device for several years. We’ve recently partnered with meter manufacturers to integrate Sense into their smart products. Over time, your electricity provider has or will replace your existing electric meter with a Sense-enabled smart meter. You are invited to connect with Sense directly.
You’ll likely receive a notification from your electricity provider when this service becomes available.
Once your Sense-enabled meter is installed, you can access Sense using your meter, after a short setup process.
For a preview of the setup process, click here.
What is an electric meter?
Your electricity provider has installed a meter that monitors the total electricity used by your home. It is typically a metal box with a clear gauge that has numbers indicating the watts used by your home.
Your meter is different from your electrical panel, also known as a circuit breaker box that can turn circuits on and off in your home.
How can I find my electric meter?
Typically, electric meters are found in a couple places
- In a single family home, the meter is often attached to the outside of the house, either on the front or exterior wall. It may also be on a porch or in a utility room or closet.
- One or many meters may be installed outside in a special box controlled by the electricity provider, away from any one property but between the power lines that feed a building and the building itself.
- In multi-tenanted buildings, multiple meters are often installed in a basement, parking garage, or a special utility room or closet.
How close to the meter should I be during the Sense setup process?
To complete the Sense setup process, you will need to be near your meter for several minutes, holding the mobile device where you’ve installed the Sense app. So, plan to perform the setup at a time of day and during weather that allows for your convenience.
Don’t worry, you can set up your Sense later, if need be. If your setup is interrupted, you can return and start over any time.
- Sense recommends you position yourself (and your mobile device) 5-15 feet from the meter during setup to optimize your connection and reduce interference.
- It is best if you have a clear line of sight to the meter and that you are facing its front. Neither you nor your mobile device should actually touch the meter during setup.
- You and your mobile device will need to stay in place during the entire setup. If you move away, the connection will likely be disrupted.
- If your meter is up high on a utility pole, you should still be able to connect as long as you are near the meter.
If you have questions about any of this, please contact Sense Support and we will be happy to help.